Weight Lifting Routine

1. Jess says:

Good to see you getting dedicated about strength training! I would say, stay away from machines and do as much free weights as possible. You can also super/triple/quadruple set your exercises (so back to back to back sets). That’ll get your heart rate up too.

I also think more deadlifts should be in there (regular deadlifts, romanian, suitcase) as well as lunges, walking, or stationary. Try to do as much body weight stuff as possible. Push-ups. Pull-ups. Dips. Assisted if you have to :) Hold your core in when you do and you’ll really get a full body work out.

Sounds like no big deal, but I can now do 7 full-form toe push-ups in a row. In February, I could do NONE, barely even one knee push-up. You want functional muscles, so train them that way. Keep it up!

2. Dan says:

My 2 favorites are DC Training and Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1. DC is for advanced trainees only, and the 5/3/1 is a progressive, BASIC strength program I am currently doing. I LOVE it and it is simple and lower volume…it’d be perfect for you actually – that program you have is a bit higher volume, and my 1st thought was that you’d better be pounding the protein (and calories) to be recovering from all of that lifting.

3. Matt says:

Instead of pullups, do inverted rows.

I do a very simple routine of core exercises, following Stronglifts 5×5

Overhead Press
    Back Squats
    Bench Press
    Inverted Rows
    Deadlift
    Crunches

All lifts are using barbells and the powercage for safety since I routinely workout alone in the freeweight area. My workout days are usually Mon, Thu, Sat (or whatever fits in around my son’s TKD class schedule). I like have a program that isn’t overly complicated and is full of compound exercises.

4. bree says:

Try yoga! For real. Holding strengthening poses for several minutes can be better than weight training because it engages the surrounding muscles as well, while weights will only work a limited group of muscles at a time.

I definitely do free weights as much as possible. With the exception of a few exercises, the majority of what I do involves free weights.

Congrats on the proper push ups! I can’t wait until I can do several in a row. It’s coming, and very soon.

Yeah, I pound the protein. I get about 1g per protein a day per pound I weigh, which is considerable. I know some recommend getting more, but even with shakes getting over 200+ grams of protein a day is tough as anything.

And speaking of calories, I’m still not getting an excess of calories because I’m afraid of weight gain. I know I need a surplus of calories to build muscle, but as of now I’m pretty much even keel and I’m building muscles. When I stop building, I’ll re-evaluate.

I like a simple program too, and this one is fairly simple. It took a while to get the mechanics of each exercise down and to find the appropriate machine/weights, but once I got started it was a piece of cake. I take a printout with me each gym visit to note the amount of weight I lifted, as well.

I don’t ever want to lift less than I did last week.

I definitely want to join more classes like yoga. I want to be more limber, flexible, etc., as it would help with everything I do in my life, including strength training.

9. Marilyn says:

My husband used a chair to spot himself when he started his pull-up routine. After a few weeks of training he doesn’t need it anymore. Maybe worth trying…

Good for you having a regular routine. I wish I was consistent with my weight training but it’s not something I specifically enjoy doing. I have to force myself to do a weight routine. Cardio, on the other hand, is easy for me to do.

11. Casey says:

I alternate between heavy and light. Three cycles heavy weight and low reps (4 sets X 5 reps). Three cycles light weight and high reps (4 sets X 15 reps). High weight builds strength, light weight gives your muscles and joints time to recover.

One cycle consists of:

Day 3: Shoulders and Traps
    Barbell Shrug
    Dumbbell Military Press
    Seated Dumbbell Shrugs
    Cable or Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise
    Reverse Fly
    Standing Upright Row (Use the rope, lets you get a longer range of motion especially at the top. Works deltoids and traps.)

Day 4: Back and Triceps
    Superset Dips and Pullups
    Seated Row
    Overhead Cable Tricep Extensions (Use Rope)
    Single Arm Cable Pulldown
    Skull Crushers

12. Casey says:

Things to stay away from:

Squats
    Traditional Deadlifts
    Hand Cleans
    Split Jerks
    Olympic Style Lifts
    Anything that requires you to throw around lots of weight.

All of the above are lots of fun, especially to prove your spot in the pecking order at the gym. But be realistic, you don’t need to do any of these for your body, maybe the male ego. You are a beginner, stick with beginner lifts until you get a little stronger, build up coordination, and can have someone show you proper form. All of the above require VERY good form to keep from hurting yourself.

13. jeanette says:

I have just started a little muscle building about 6 weeks ago. I can now do 15 knee push -ups (and I am so proud of it!) One day I will be able to do a regular one.
    You are looking great, keep up the work!

14. Matt says:

Wow, this is amazingingly bad advice.

Of course, it’s coming from someone who prefers extreme isolation exercises that force your body into unnatural positions or place extreme forces on parts you don’t want them to be occurring on. Leg Curls and Leg Extensions? Might as well take a baseball bat to your knees. Calf raises? Why? Bulking up your calfs will make them less effective athletically…notice how Jordan had chicken legs? If you want to jump higher, work your core and shoulders.

Just about every exercise you list is a vanity exercise..made for looking good rather than functional strength.

“Realistically, you don’t need squats?” (paraphrased from your statement) Wow. I mean, it’s only the perfect exercise as it works every muscle group in your body.

Pretty much everything you suggest is incorrect and smacks of someone who is afraid to try something different. Squats are hard! Oh no! I better go use a cable machine! Lifting with free weights work your body so much more effectively because it requires you to use multiple muscle groups as well as all of the stabilizer groups in your core. They are only dangerous if you let your ego dictate your progression rather than your strength. I see people do 700lbs on the leg press that can’t squat 200 because they have no core strength to stabilize and balance. For them, starting with bodyweight squats or with an empty bar (45lbs) is too much for their ego, so they go back to bragging how much they lift with the leg press.

here’s an amusing article about how worthless it is: http://www.slate.com/id/2142567

“In a New York Times Magazine interview last month, former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright mentioned that she can leg press 400 pounds.”

15. Matt says:

More:

The Leg Press Exercise
    I received this question in the Burn The Fat: Inner Circle today, and thought you may learn something new from my answer.

QUESTION: Hi, I read in the New Rules of Lifting that using the leg press is not recommended, it puts too much pressure on the lower back. Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

ANSWER:
    Technique and incremental progression are both very important to ensure you stay injury free, but you should also factor in the training tool you are using. Not all training tools were created equal.

Alwyn Cosgrove is wise to steer people away from the leg press for many reasons. Lower back injury is one of the most common problems that leg pressers experience, but it’s the progression to lower back problems that you should be concerned about.

First, a brief explanation…

“Compound and free weight movements are not only more productive from a work capacity standpoint, they’re also safer than machine-based “muscle isolation” exercises. Many trainers have convinced their clients that machines are safer than free weights, and that (for example) leg extensions or smith machine squats are safer than barbell squats. Of course, anything CAN hurt you, but machines force you into a pre-determined movement pattern. The danger is present because if forces exceed your structural capacity, you can’t escape and will get injured. With free weights, you can quickly modify your positioning to escape injury. The same idea can be applied to single-joint versus multi-joint exercises. This is why no one ever tests their one repetition max on exercises like bicep curls or dumbbell lateral arm raises — it’s dangerous and inefficient because all of the load is focused on a single joint.”

16. Dan says:

It’s amazing how many “experts” posted here alone w/ ideas on what to do (myself included). This is why the fitness and supplement industry is so lucrative…

17. Sean says:

Looks pretty solid T. I would suggest making another 2 more plans – you can use the same split if you wish but with different exercises. Rotate them every month to keep things fresh.

18. Nick T says:

You need more cardio. I would suggest running on a treadmill. Cardio burns calories = more weight loss in the long run. Running = short term water weight loss too (your skin will tighten).

Also I would do a lot more ABs work. Torso rotation, inclined situps, that machine where you raise your legs. I would try to get at least 3 good abs workout a day, if not daily. Bicycle peddling while laying down on your back with your head raised up. Google P90X ab ripper for ideas for more ab exercises.